Since I came back...

Alright, so they had the jeep going bonkers in Glasgow and the 2 men setting themselves on fire the night I flew back to Edinburgh.

Good thing out of it is - it's in Glasgow and not Edinburgh. Glasgow's airport closed down for about 24 hours and all flights there were cancelled. Terrorism level was raised to red alert. I arrived in Edinburgh and was met with a whole refugee camp. Yup, a refugee camp. People dragging their luggage as they walked down the road to the airport, police refusing to let anyone into the building, and FBI like gun bearers who demanded to check all passports and baggage of every single person and car that was entering the airport compound. Taxi and bus stands were all diverted away from the main foyer of the airport and we were handed pieces of paper telling us to turn left to the next Olympic size swimming pool and continue walking towards the road of eternity to hail a cab home. Or we could always take Bus 11 like so many of them were doing.

So my friends and I walked about with our 30 kg bags looking for the taxi stand /bus stand, any transport that we could take. And no one knows where what is. Frustration sinks in. But I guess luck was still on our side as a taxi materialized out of the blue stopped for us, practically shoved and bundled 4 girls baggage and all into the cab and drove off double quick. (I suppose it was illegal for him to pick us up from where he did as we could ALL be potential bombers but hey! who doesn't want to earn that bombs, er I mean cash?)

Reaching home to a room in total disarray and spent the next 2 days unpacking and rearranging and cleaning... phew!

And then heard that 2 of my friends missed their connection flight from London to Edinburgh as the immigration Q was mental. And a friend lost her luggage too. Argh, the mess.

The newspapers reported the next day that the Glasgow bombers were Asian and possible doctors. Riiight. Probably the best course to be in now I suppose. Following on, few of my seniors who had just graduated were refused working visas to start work as a Foundation Year doctor here.

And then a friend's flat got broken into. Poor guy lost his passport, his IC, his driving license and cash. A lot of cash. I just hope he gets his passport back and is not mistaken as Rambo the 19th come to life as the devil and suspected of terrorism in Edinburgh. Please. Poor kid has another 2 years of medical school to go and then he will come out and save all the lifes that are affected by the bombs and anthrax and planes and what not.

But highlight of the day is - I watched a video of a woman giving birth. Ergh, Ew, why wasn't I born a man??

0 comments: