Well, as misleading as the title might sound... I've just returned to Edinburgh from a lovely month in Malaysia that was literally filled with activities back to back.
Other than the uncountable yum cha sessions with all my friends (I've been to Murni at least 2o times I think) there are a few things that were exceptional. Among them were:
1. Hong Kong
Well, not exceptional to my friends back home I guess, considering I go off to HK every summer but it was a trip nonetheless. I met up with ALL the HK delegates from my SA camp, the first time ever in 4 years. Wahay! It was also a mega meet up for them as all of us are now in different courses, doing different things - and Panda is the first to graduate! (on top of that getting his dream job as a manager trainee in Cathay Pacific - that means he gets 2 free tickets every year to go wherever he wants). I've got a new best friend.
2. Bali
2. BaliAnother trip in my short 4 weeks, this time to the ever famous Bali, Indonesia. Stayed in Nusa Dua, this lovely 5 star hotel with superb architecture. Sad to say, I believe Sabah's Sutera Harbour Hotel has better rooms and a definitely better breakfast spread. The beach in Bali where I stayed is, again, sad to say, covered with seaweed and rather geli to walk on. Redang's beach beats it hands down. I enjoyed the temples and the scenery though which is really more worth it to go and see than lounging on the beach.
Part of the hotel - on the outside.
The beach at Nusa Dua
Wax drawings on our clothes!*Arghh... the rest of the pics are in my bros camera which I conveniently forgot to copy*
3. Chemang Waterfall
What can I say about this few crazy friends of mine? We dedicated a whole day of driving 2 hours to Bentong in Pahang in search for tranquility and the cool waters of Chemang Waterfall. We found it - and almost immediately plunged into the icy cold waters. The undercurrent was strong though, and I realised that I am not such a good swimmer after all, as I needed to be constantly pulled to calmer waters despite trying my best to swim against the current. (I was told that I was not moving..=(( ) If only I had more summer hols, I believe my bunch of friends would have taken me white water rafting - something I've been wanting to do for a long, long time.
3. Chemang Waterfall
What can I say about this few crazy friends of mine? We dedicated a whole day of driving 2 hours to Bentong in Pahang in search for tranquility and the cool waters of Chemang Waterfall. We found it - and almost immediately plunged into the icy cold waters. The undercurrent was strong though, and I realised that I am not such a good swimmer after all, as I needed to be constantly pulled to calmer waters despite trying my best to swim against the current. (I was told that I was not moving..=(( ) If only I had more summer hols, I believe my bunch of friends would have taken me white water rafting - something I've been wanting to do for a long, long time.
The crazy bunch...4. Mary and Barbara's Visit
Mary, our BBC friend flew all 12 hours to Singapore to visit Barbara. They then took a bus up to KL to visit us, and it was fun while it lasted. Hmm, if you ever had a friend come all the way from some foreign place and had to bring them sightseeing, do let me know how it went. It really isn't that easy. But, luckily the girls weren't fussy and was perfectly contented to spend a whole afternoon doing a manicure, which considerably made their tour guide feel a whole lot more relieved.
Mary, our BBC friend flew all 12 hours to Singapore to visit Barbara. They then took a bus up to KL to visit us, and it was fun while it lasted. Hmm, if you ever had a friend come all the way from some foreign place and had to bring them sightseeing, do let me know how it went. It really isn't that easy. But, luckily the girls weren't fussy and was perfectly contented to spend a whole afternoon doing a manicure, which considerably made their tour guide feel a whole lot more relieved.
Korean BBQ at Hartamas. Slurps. Why aren't there any Korean restaurants in Edinburgh??5. BBQ dinner for Nigel's Farewell
Well, it was Nigel's last weekend in Malaysia before he jet set-ted off to NZ to finish his course. Like how it's all done, he had this huge BBQ (with fantastic marinated lamb) for all his close friends. Luckily for me, his friends were my friends and it was coincidently held on the night before I flew back to Edinburgh. So as a whole, it was a farewell for me too as I got to see all my friends in one setting that night.
Well, it was Nigel's last weekend in Malaysia before he jet set-ted off to NZ to finish his course. Like how it's all done, he had this huge BBQ (with fantastic marinated lamb) for all his close friends. Luckily for me, his friends were my friends and it was coincidently held on the night before I flew back to Edinburgh. So as a whole, it was a farewell for me too as I got to see all my friends in one setting that night.
The original group taken 3 years ago6. Mambo Jumbo!
Wednesday night, Mambo Jumbo at Zouk!! I was badgering my friends to go and go we did! It was great! I can safely say I knew almost 100% of the songs played and met loads of new people. Men in KL are really quite gentlemanly. They take care of all transportation to and fro (and I mean on all occasions, not only clubbing) and ensures that the girls are safely sent back. I even met an old OBS friend, Jon, whom I have not seen for almost 5 years!! It was definitely a night to remember.
7. Seremban
Seremban equals IMU. A drive to the capital of Negeri Sembilan to see my A Level classmates. Four of us in a car from KL. Another from Malacca. We were lacking the familiar faces of Vicky, Aaron, Hui Lee and Rei Ka but 8 of us met up for a seafood dinner. It was an amazing night, and my friends have not changed one bit, all the same beautiful people from 3 years before. Wei Chong still as funny and nonsensical, Hau Chun still as smart(the guy got Gold Medalist in IMU OK - I mean he did get 100% for Bio in A Levels, what do u expect??), Phong Teck, the driver who still dreads driving in jams but feels its a man job to drive (yes it is!), William with his SLR, representing the calm and quiet of the group, and the girls all as lovely as before.


Wednesday night, Mambo Jumbo at Zouk!! I was badgering my friends to go and go we did! It was great! I can safely say I knew almost 100% of the songs played and met loads of new people. Men in KL are really quite gentlemanly. They take care of all transportation to and fro (and I mean on all occasions, not only clubbing) and ensures that the girls are safely sent back. I even met an old OBS friend, Jon, whom I have not seen for almost 5 years!! It was definitely a night to remember.
7. Seremban
Seremban equals IMU. A drive to the capital of Negeri Sembilan to see my A Level classmates. Four of us in a car from KL. Another from Malacca. We were lacking the familiar faces of Vicky, Aaron, Hui Lee and Rei Ka but 8 of us met up for a seafood dinner. It was an amazing night, and my friends have not changed one bit, all the same beautiful people from 3 years before. Wei Chong still as funny and nonsensical, Hau Chun still as smart(the guy got Gold Medalist in IMU OK - I mean he did get 100% for Bio in A Levels, what do u expect??), Phong Teck, the driver who still dreads driving in jams but feels its a man job to drive (yes it is!), William with his SLR, representing the calm and quiet of the group, and the girls all as lovely as before.


There were tonnes more special things that happened - like how I made a group of my friends wait for me til 12 am (as I was having this silly dinner whose serving time was 20 mins in between dishes) and Koh Beng who had to work the next day stayed on til 2 am to chat with me.
And then there was Shin Yow who drove all the way back from Putrajaya at night to come yum cha (eventhough the thing was called off in the end - my bad, my bad).
All the planning my friends did for me and all the effort everyone put in to just meet up.
I can't say how much I love them.. I really do.
And then there was Shin Yow who drove all the way back from Putrajaya at night to come yum cha (eventhough the thing was called off in the end - my bad, my bad).
All the planning my friends did for me and all the effort everyone put in to just meet up.
I can't say how much I love them.. I really do.






0 comments:
Post a Comment