Of Rude People

Rude People should be shot.

Here I am with my brother wanting to go for this walking tour concerning the 'haunted' vaults of Edinburgh. Having been on the same tour like 3-4 times I was not very keen on paying another 6 pounds to watch and listen to the same old stories over again.
But my brother, looking rather excited and being quite an enthusiast for ghostly and unworldly proceedings was hopping up and down on one leg, unable to wait for it to start.

So, I thought, what the heck, I'll just ask them to give me a discount or something when I explain that I have actually been there, seen that and done it. After all, the last time, the other tour operator of the same kind gave me a 2 for 1 price and that was pretty reasonable.

Still, bearing in mind that they might just say an apologetic no due to the fact that they need the 6 pounds to pay for their water bills, I held the cash in my hand, ready to pay up just in case.

"This is my brother from overseas. I actually stay in Edinburgh and have been on this tour for many times now, about 4? I was wondering if I could get a discount or something since I am just accompanying him."

"NO." With a VERY Dulan Face
'"When you go to the movies, you still have to pay for the ticket eventhough you have seen the movie, RIGHT." In a VERY Dulan Voice.

I promptly turned to my brother, spoke in chinese asking him to pay and pocketed the 6 pounds that were in my hands.

If you could so much as said 'no' in a proper and professional way, I would have Tooting paid the money full of grace, no questions asked but since you said it in such a rude and pissifying way, I'll just bloody go for the tour anyway without paying.

I even told you that I stay here, have been on this tour tonnes of times and I know you do not issue tickets and that I could just have snucked both me and my brother in without paying a single cent. But of course, I understand this is your rice bowl. I have even prepared the cash to pay you but since you stupid s*** gave me such a rude answer in such an pompous and affected voice - you have just made me decide to get on the tour for free whatever the case.

So I slipped into the crowd to join the group as they made their way up into the vaults and listened to the same stories again as we walked and groped about in the dark. I suppose I was lucky that no poltergeist of any sort came to cast nasty spells on me due to my fraud but I do not like rude people.

Next day, it rained (like how it always do here) and out we went in search of haggis (true Scottish food), without an umbrella (like how we always do here) and came upon a pub that served it.

"Are you open?"

"Not yet. In 10 minutes."

"Ok, do you think it's alright if we came in to sit and wait out of the rain?"

"NO."

WTF. What kind of restaurant is this man? NO Possible way a chinapek restaurant owner will TURN you away if you are there to give him business.
No tooting possible way.

How can you?

HOW CAN YOU TURN CUSTOMERS AWAY WHO ARE SUFFERING OUT HERE IN THE COLD AND RAIN, WANTING TO COME IN AND GIVE U MONEY AT THE SAME TIME???


I don't understand. Not as if the place was dirty and needed a good cleaning or requiring some major makeover that the presence customers presents a 50% mortality rate. They were folding napkins at the bar and it is 10 blardy minutes to opening.
Like us sitting huddled in the corner is going to delay your grand opening for another 10 hours or something.
It's cold, raining, windy and we were clearly suffering.
No compassion whatsoever. Of course, don't expect us to come back.

I really don't understand what these people are thinking. Is this how they conduct business? Should they be in Asia, they'll be sleeping on the streets in no time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,

I hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog. But I'm sorry that on of our community was so rude to you!

I also wanted to know what you thought of the tour content itself (as an Edinburgh tours expert)? Just that I'm trying to help WalkTalkTour.com produce audio walking tours that people such as yourself would like.

They currently offer two tours for the Royal Mile and a bit beyond and also the new and old towns. Do you think they should go further afield?

Many thanks,

Lee

Rachel said...

Hi Lee,

Nope, of course u are welcome to comment. =))

It was just a few occasions that I met people like that but on the whole, Edinburgh's community is very very kind and nice.

Regarding your tours, I imagine that someone would just carry the audio guides as they walk around the sites?
Having gone on the many different walking tours, I find that I enjoy stories that are historically 'real' the best. It also depends on the presenter, whether he/she is entertaining. However, I find that friends who come over have difficulty understanding the thick Scottish accent of some of them presenters, so if your audio guides are done my someone who is relatively 'accent-less' would be the best for most international visitors!

As Royal Mile has plenty of historically affiliated sites (and also to reach on foot!), I reckon tours around it and maybe to Princes Street is quite enough for the average visitor to Edinburgh.But of course, I have not traveled Edinburgh extensively nor do I know about the city's history etc as much so maybe I am giving a rather skewed comment.

But anyway, hope I managed to help and good luck in your work!! Feel free to ask me anything again!

cheers,
rachel

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,

Many thanks for your views - they're very helpful?

About the accent and personality, I've got a sample here - do you think its ok?

Again, thanks for your help!

Lee

Rachel said...

Hey lee,

ur welcome!

the clip is alright... though the scottish accent is there.. =))))
but on the whole, i think its clear enough to be understood!!
way to go!!

rachel

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,

Many thanks for trying it out! I'm glad you think its ok. I just need to work out how to get the right people to try them out :-(

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards,

Lee