Hogmanay

New Year's Eve in Edinburgh is celebrated for 3 consecutive days, starting on the 29th. You have a torch procession from the castle to Carlton Hill and some performance or so I believe that would have been shockingly good only that I did not go, opting for a turkey dinner at home instead.

So the next night, I went. On the 30th of December, the famous George Street ceildih was held full of style on George Street - duh. A ceilidh band plays while people on the street randomly grab the person next to them(provided they are hot - I was grabbed by an overweight aunty in a red coat - so I suppose I am the hot one in this duo) to dance with. Ceilidh is a traditional Scottish dance that is brainless to learn. I think it is the best dance in the world for huge groups and parties because people who have no co ordination at all can still dance it.

There were also random stages set up along the street, one being an Xtreme hairdressing event.
Volunteers from the crowd go on stage and this two hairdressers work their magic:

Yes. That is a DRAGON in his hair.

I do not know what the significance of all the different things are, but you get huge balloons/float like thingys:

and dinosaurs on stilts:
walking through the crowd.

Probably another pagan/celtic thing that makes no sense to me but is perfect for enjoyment sake.

Of course, the eve itself boasts of UK's largest street party, held here, in the heart of Scotland:
5 pounds per ticket to enter what is alike Bukit Bintang's Free Street Party that is held in KL. There were 3 stages of different bands playing, but to get close to any of them is like battling in World War 1.

Best thing is, Leon Jackson, the winner of X Factor (Britain's version of American Idol) was supposed to open the night as he is from *drumroll* - Scotland. And of course, being Scottish and Edinburgh being the capital (not Glasgow ok you idiots) plus hosting the largest street party in the UK, I mean, he just HAS to perform.

So here we are all hyped up and thinking of how merry everything will be when Leon proves his worth of being X Factor champion when BBC reported that Mr. Jackson will not be performing because he has tonsillitis.

Very good timing indeed. Adds another reason to my growing list of dislike for him. I mean, come on, this other contestant was WAY better.


All hail Rhydian.

Andrew Lloyd Webber, the composer of the Phantom of the Opera actually agreed to rewrite the song so that Rhydian could sing it solo for his performance when he heard how good Rhydian was.

Once again, all hail Rhydian.

Don't bother looking at Leon Jackson's. Guaranteed slumber in the first 30 seconds.
But he won because the whole flipping Scotland voted for him. His mom is the receptionist at one of the GP centre's here, and probably got all the rich doctors to send in billions of votes for him. If anyone wants an autograph, I will try my best to pull strings.

Then we have Same Difference.


Yes, the girl is quite annoying and she sang an octave lower than Mariah Carey. But they are so sweet as a couple! (Brother and sister to be exact). And all the dancers are so cute... and their songs are so happy!! ^_^ Go you tube their other videos. Makes me feel like a child once again.

Once again, Leon Jackson is BORING.

Rhydian should have so won the competition.

Anyway, I'm diverging.

Back to Hogmanay and silly Leon's no show.
Lots of people, the street full of muck and of course fireworks at the very end.

Can you spot me?
Yes, the one holding the camera at the back to produce this picture:
You have staunch Scotland supporters too who go all out despite being Malaysian.

When the clock struck 12 midnight (the countdown is quite rubbish here compared to Bkt Bintang as not everyone counts down. -_-. Whats the point of countdown then??) fireworks lit the night sky for 5 minutes.
Happy 2008!!

0 comments: