Yesterday, I was...

Kicked out from a bar for being underaged.

In my whole 22 years of living life, no one has EVER so much as thought of me as being UNDERAGE for I am 170 cm tall and honestly always big for whatever age I was as far back as I can remember.

When I was in primary school, I was the tallest girl in class and the teachers will sit me at the back. ALWAYS.
They are lucky I inherited fantastic eyesight from my ancestors (both my parents wear glasses.. so it has to be someone further up the family tree) and with the 10m distance between the blackboard (in my days it was still a blackboard) to where I sat, it is nothing short of a miracle that I managed to maintained my 20/20 vision up til now. If not I would definitely sue.
Big Time.

When I was in secondary school, I was always asked to play Goal Keeper or Shooter just because of my height. I would request for Center but that is reserved for the smaller girls because they are believed to be faster. (FASTER MY ASS. LONGER LEGS FASTER OK!) I think it it just general 'heightism' towards tall people.

And then when I was a mere 10 year old, aeroplanes I sat in would never offer me the sticker books (I LOVED THEM ALRIGHT), toys and Kid Meals that were given to all under 12s. Which made me pretty miserable and my darling mom will then request it from the air stewardess only to get a look of, "Lady, teach your child to grow up already" while she hands the items over in a huff. And after awhile, I just didn't ask for them anymore. I nicked my brother's ones instead.

When I was approaching teenagerhood, I can pretty much go to the adults department to buy clothes. Not to say I had a whole lot of fashion sense (my parents nor older sister didn't do much to help) but while everyone else was stuck with the frills and silk bows, I could fit into that pair of jeans from British India. And that was with everyone looking at me thinking what in the world is this kid doing in an adult store. (Height does not make your face look older, excuse me.)

But of course, all uncles and aunties of that generation will mis guess my age by a factor of 10 and croon over my parents, 'Wah, your daughter very old already ah! When entering college' when I was in fact, what, 13?

Forget about asking for student prices for items. Too much fuss to prove that I am underaged enough.

And fast forward 5 years on, here I am in a angmor country, at the bar buying a cocktail when this B*#&^ pulls the age card on me. So I whip out my student ID and show it to her. Any decent bar staff would by now get me the damned drink.

"Uh, sorry, no age."

Right, fine. So I don't buy lor.

Then this B*#&^ comes to my table and tells me to get the hell out because I do not have proof of age and that I might be underage and hence not allowed to stay on the premises because I am prettier than her.

WTF.

NEVER before was I denied entrance to any clubs here in Edinburgh (they do not even ask for my age la, please.) In Malaysia, eventhough 23 year old's only I ALSO CAN PASS OK. And the legal age in UK is guess what???

18.

Stupid twits.

I am 4 years OVER that age (though I'd very much rather be 2 years under) and I DO NOT LOOK MY AGE.

Life has been very unfair to me.

All I can do is hope that this 'looking young' thing will last til I am 90.

0 comments: