1. They Run Overtime
Most of the time. 10 mins slot per patient is not enough. If a patient comes in with a long list of problems, you can't expect GPs to finish addressing all their problems in 10 MINUTES. I have not even begun to talk about the aunties and uncles who come and tell their life story and the many generations they have up, down, left, right and centre.
Of course, GPs sometimes start late themselves, causing their patients to wait over an hour. Which really sucks. And if the Patient comes late, then it's the patients fault but not the GP eventhough they started late. So yeah, the GP always wins.
2. Tea Breaks
ARE PRECIOUS. Their own little escape from the moaning and groaning of patients. GPs spend their limited 30 mins in the tea room bitching about their patients and also of their own children.
3. Patients are smelly
Yes, they are. You know you are. And when I had to take blood from this absolutely stinking patient, I almost puked on myself because when I touched her arm, it was oily AND greasy. I scrapped my skin raw from over washing my hands that morning. So for heavens sake, take a bath or something before you go see your doctor. Stop spreading the germs around already.
4. Honestly, We Can't Be Bothered
with all your sad stories. I mean...... we are. But we are definitely faking it. Life sucks sometimes, I do not deny, but what GPs can do is offer sympathy and be lend listening ear for the time that you are in our consulting room, or maybe prescribe you some anti depressants in hope of lifting your mood. However, your problems are honestly yours to sort out, we do not live your life. World class actors we are - that's the trick of the trade. Be 'That Nice Doctor' and you've got the cat in the bag.
5. Have A Life
Much more so than surgeons/hospital doctors. That is because they do not go on call (well once in a blue moon anyway) and when work finishes at 6pm, it FINISHES. There is no such thing as weekend work either and no chance of a patient dying on you.. they'll be sent to the hospital before they reach that stage. So family and work life is balanced to the T.
The Secret Life of General Practicioners
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment