PCCF Welcome Evening 2008

This happened so long ago, I've almost forgotten all the minute details.
But considering I only have space in my memory for things that are purely for entertainment purposes and nothing else, I suppose I can still search and draw out what this evening was about.

With the start of the new fiscal year, every society will have some sort of welcome thing for the new students.

Ok, for the uninformed, PCCF stands for Pollock Chinese Christian Fellowship and yes, it's a CF group.

I remember way back in 1st year when every welcome event was so unfamiliar - to the point that it scored hardly any storage points in the vast emptiness of the hard disk embedded in my skull.

Then 2nd year came, and it was much better since I got to be involved in preparing stuff for the juniors.
We did Stephen Chow's Shaolin Soccer.

Vivien dressed very convincingly as the 'Pau Cho Po' from the movie.

I was part of the Axe Gang and was supposed to go and bully the girl that Stephen Chow eventually comes and save...
Yau yeng sial

From left, Ricky as the guy who sells Stephen Chow the book of kungfu, Nellie as the girl he saves, MeiFong as Ah Jane, Karen as I cannot remember, Alvin as the noodle seller, Yu Yet as the gay tailor, WeiPing as Stephen Chow, Vivien as above, Alison, our director and the rest of the Axe Gang crew. My hair then seriously can throw into the rubbish bin.


The day ended with God's message delivered to all involved.

It was good.

It was electrifying.

It was the beginning of my career in theatre performance.





Leading into 3rd year, that is 2006, I played the starring role of the sketch. Sort of like Sharpay Evans from High School Musical. Know her?

Like So Totally.

I am THAT GOOD.




Or so I dreamed.




Sad to say, I was not involved in any way.
Hence, I am not going to blog about it, since I do not know much about it.
It was about The Pirates of the Carribean and that is as much as I know.

Fast forward to 2007 and 4th year landed me the role of director for that year's play.
Now, I really should come clean about this.
First of all, the representatives from my year at PCCF boils down to almost zero when I was in 2nd year.
Friday nights were spent having dinners, parties or in clubs. I truly repent for what I have done (not in a biblical way) and can assure everyone that I am now fully grown up and mature although you are very welcome to invite me to your dinner/party/club night if you are having one. I will dig deep into myself and bring out my then 19 year old self.
Fine. 20 year old.

When 3rd year came, something clicked and I decided that I should really frequent PCCF more. So I did but still my presence wasn't obvious enough. I blame it to the fact I didn't get to play Sharpay in the sketch.

So, as director for the PCCF Welcome Evening 2007, I enlisted the help of a million people to do my bidding and every whim.
I really am quite good in that. I also managed to rope in another friend to share the burden and so I shall not claim all the credit. I was co director.
Based on Disney's Mulan, the story revolved around Mulan substituting her dad for war (if you don't know the story, please Shoot. Your. Self. Right. Now.) and that emulates how God gave his Son to die for us.
Yes, that is how great our God is.


And this is how I forced everyone to practise and practise.


Blow you down show. Yes it was.
Do you have any idea how much work I put into it? And the fact that the week after the show was my Obs and Gynae exam, the most infamous exam of medical school as the amount to study is gi-normous?!
No you don't have any idea.
Not at all.
When you are up to HERE with editing and creating videos from Windows Movie Maker only to have your computer hang ever so often, when you attend all practices to make sure your actors are perfect (yes, I AM A PERFECTIONIST) and when you need to liase with everyone and send out 100 emails or so to ensure everything runs smoothly...

No you don't have any idea At All.

But God is Good and He has blessed me with a lot of things in life. Including making me enjoy doing what I do and getting through exams up until this point.

The 2 directors at the left with the Emperor and Shih Fu, his minister. My hair is better. Much, much better.

Dancing our way into 'We Are All In This Together'

Yay!

Come 5th year, my presence in PCCF was pretty much consolidated that I was the only person from my year that most frequently attended CF every Friday. And that speaks a lot. Since I am ever ready to give up the night for some party or other (of course with feeling a lot of guilt).

Once again, I took on the background role of helping the two directors plan, direct and edit videos.
Now at this juncture of my life, I really started questioning myself.
Am I Not good enough to act? To perform? To take centre stage? Why am I always the one at the background helping to make the thing work!?!?!?!
But then it struck me.
Of course. The directors get the biggest cut of the pay. The producers are the richest of them all. We are the boss.

I am destined for greater things.
Other minions, Bow to ME

So this year's theme was based on the Prodigal Son. A famous bible story, we adapted it to modern day settings (well, not me, but the directors whom if you look at it the way I put it, are my bosses) where the Char Keuy Teow seller's son wants his share of the fortune.

Thou shalt not look down on a Char Keuy Teow seller as he is very rich.

This time around, everything was based on a flashback, so one can view the whole show on YouTube.

Sam, our main actor, winner of the PCCF Oscar Awards for Best Actor.

The Opening:


I Want My Share:


SCAM Cheats Him:


Girls are Dangerous. Very Dangerous.


So is gambling:


A Hunted Man:


The Lowest Point of His Life:


The Return of The Son:


For What Was Lost is Now Found:



God's love is like any father's; he will always be ready to forgive and accept you back into his life.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life" John 3:16

Short of helping out in the making of the videos and also being in the play itself on that day, I also baked.

Full fat, pure calories and sugary sweet goodness.

Life's too short not to get fully involved in things other than studies, and life is way, way, way too short not to indulge in sweet buttery fattening muffins.

0 comments: