I Love Michael Urie


Who is Michael Urie?
Marc St. James from the ABC drama series Ugly Betty.

Now, I'd watched quite a lot of American drama series's ... series?... seriess?... what's the plural for series? - over the past 5 years since I set foot on British soil. On top of my regular doses of TVB chinese drama, my free time here is pretty much 99.9% dependent on my laptop and internet connection for obtaining all these sacred episodes of entertainment.

However, while TVB dramas finish as soon as they start, American dramas go on forever, with new seasons starting every year.
And although admittedly I have not watched absolutely every American drama (sorry, British dramas are crap to boot), to choose the best among the ones I have seen, Ugly Betty wins - hands down.


Spin off from Columbian soap Betty La Fea (which I remember watching one solitary episode when I was in secondary school) Ugly Betty encompasses the subset of the population that I so often dream of - glitterati living in the Big Apple where high street fashion comes for free, raking in the cash by looking pretty and top to toe perfect, attending dazzling parties where they serve you champagne in crystal vials, living in unbounded luxury, moving with the pumping pace of city life and at the same time loving everything you do.

It's all about the adrenaline rush baby.
And I did mention in my past posts that I am superficial.
Accept It.

But of course, in reality, I am so much more down to earth hence I am doing medicine in the small city of Edinburgh, stuck building castles in the air with my trusty old laptop while the hairs on my arm stand as straight as they can to conserve as much heat as possible in my small 5x15 foot box room which coincidentally masquerades as my bedroom.

Wait, isn't this post about how much I love Michael Urie?

Oh ho, yes.

I've never heard of him up til I started on Ugly Betty and by my standards of definition, he is one of the best actors I have ever come across.

Or maybe it's just that I love that style of humour which is what Marc essentially is in the series.

Marc's Best Bits.




I've dissected and squinted at his humour sense under the microscope from all angles, stained it with all types of dyes/contrast materials and have narrowed it down to the essential facts of why I love him. I believe it is the facial expression, the voice, the up and down of his tone punctuating all the correct syllables and also his dramatic perfectly poised actions - ahem...Swishy.



Poor baby.
He tries to convince Betty to be his girlfriend to meet his mom. So they practice knowing each other's backgrounds.



"But I fell in love with you because of ... all that inner beauty crap"
Now, THAT is what I call - hitting the nail on the head.


"Marc, are you sure this is going to convince your mom that you are straight?"
Ever had gay friends?
No?
Sad.

But I like him gay. I really, really do. It adds to all that silliness and slapstick humour that is just what we all need in our mundane life.

Sorry if you don't get my drift, that is why I am me and you are you.

Now let's see, one of the best episodes of Ugly Betty is the marriage of Wilhemina (played by Vanessa Williams, and I really love her too, only a fraction less than Marc) to Bradford, and they have Posh Spice and Vera Wang on board.

They also had Lindsay Lohan in another episode, I mean, how many soaps have you come across with snippets of different celebrities all for free?? (since I download my episodes for free) None!




Obviously Vera Wang made the dresses lah. What for would they need her?

See, I should be a world famous designer too and make my debut in a series like Vera did and with my grace and captivating personality, I'll land myself in a fat juicy role and burst to stardom like America Ferrera (Ugly Betty herself) despite not being typical Hollywood stick thin nor flawless face. I can do it too!

Or, I can focus on passing my finals in June so I can submit my life to humanitarian needs, healing the sick and fighting for world peace.

Back to Ugly Betty,
due to some boo-boo (watch the episode yourself), Amanda (another person who is the reason why 16 year old girls die from aneroxia nervosa but so what, I like her acting and her body for that matter) was forced by Marc to sing during the wedding.




"Now, singgg biitch..."


OMG.

I wish I can act like that.
Classic.
Such a fresh breath of air in this world of profanities and crudeness.

*snap fingers*

Love It.

0 comments: