Went to my physiotherapist today and she put me on the Biodex, this humongous machine that measures the strength of all limbs and muscle groups in your body. I was to compare my good leg with my bad leg (for the uninformed, I underwent a knee ligament reconstruction last October) and decide from there whether I could start running again.
The last time I did it , which was 2 months ago, my bad leg lacked in 75% muscle strength compared to my good one. At most, the deficit allowed is 20-25%. SO CANNOT MAKE IT.
Now, 2 months down the road, I did the test again, and Hallelujah! Much Better says my physio. A deficit of *ta-da* 30%!!!
But, according to the graph, my leg muscles (quadriceps) are slow in uptake, meaning they do not reach their maximum strength immediately like my good one.
And the verdict remains - no running.
Not that it really matters, (short of not being able to play sports) but not being able to run is hell Annoying when I see the free shuttle bus that's bring me to the hospital in front of me and I can't run to it. Buses do not wait for people here in the UK and I could probably be in front of the bus door in half a tick should my legs be normal, but NO they bus will be about 100 m in front of me, taking in its last passenger and bam! the doors close and it moves off.
Which means I have to pay 1 pound to take the normal bus. (with 1 pound I can buy something nice from the 1 pound shop ok). I can go on to being very 'sui' on that particular day, encounter the same problem, miss the pay bus, hence making me late for my teaching, leading my tutor to think I am incompetent and lowering my feedback marks considerably. Which matters a lot when you are score 99 and need that one measly mark to get 100.
Appreciate your working limbs folks.
And I STILL Can't Run to Save My Life
Posted by Rachel at 1:42 AM
Labels: Life's Not Fair
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment