So a whole 4 years ago now since I went for that fateful skiing trip with Imperial College Malaysians to Val D'Isere.
A whole 3 years since my ACL reconstruction surgery, and a whole 2 years since I regain full function of my buggered knee.
Unfortunately, the temptation was too much to ignore.
So sign up I did for my 2nd ski trip ever, with the hope that my ligament will hold, and my other knee will remain accident-less, God forbid.
Tignes.
Neighbour to Val D'Isere, the ski slopes which I would've conquered should I not had met with that torn ligament problem on my 2nd day.
Being the cautious person I am, I did all the preparation required in attempt to immunise myself against future damage to my internal metalwork in the already damaged knee.
I consulted a orthopaedic consultant and a general surgeon for advice and was told that I should strenghten my quadriceps.
That means bending down on my knee and holding that position for as long as possible, as frequent as possible.
Of course I did all those exercises - not.
Failing the advice of a doctor, I took the next best preventative step and bought myself a knee guard.
And.....
That was as far as my preparation got.
Clearly, in someone more level headed, the right and best measure to take is to Not go. Afterall, prevention is better than cure. And I advocate that saying 100%.
What did I say about temptation?
Anyway, got to the UCPA hostel without much problems and quickly got geared up with the skis and poles to match.
1st day was free and easy. Having already told my team mates that I will NOT go down any slope except for a green, I was brought up to a blue slope.
You know sometimes when you feel like you need guts and balls of steel to do something?
Being a noob and going skiing on a blue slope is definitely one of it.
Trust me.
Not to mention the end of the slope being red.
Thanks guys.
Slide, tumble, fall, pop.
Oh yes, I heard the POP. At to which my thoughts exploded into a million fragments of flashbacks, pain and mostly - fear.
Gingerly I stood up......and continued slipping, sliding and falling down the slope. No, I am quite sure my ligament was not torn.
I went to bed that night afraid and hoping that nothing too bad has happened.
Anyhow, to cut a long story short, I managed to ski ALL the 5 days with and without the instructor. Sure, I was a bit rubbish compared to the others - Mr French Instructor told me he wanted to kick YH and I down to the beginner's class on day 1 but was glad he didn't and in fact actually very proud to see my quick progress!
I told you I was a quick learner.
Depending on the fact I do not damage myself in the process.
The sun was good, the company even better, my knee held and we spent the rest of the time scrambling in the snow, stealing each other's skis and also took the Amazing Race down the slope with Francis.... which I won.
But he tells you a different thing though.
Every day was a ritual of waking up at 8am for breakfast, moving off to ski; depending on the group - lunch out or in, back to skiing in the afternoon where we finish by 5pm; returning to the lodge and going out to the local pool for a swim and a play on the slides, returning for dinner and finally cards/chat/drinks.
Upon returning to the UK, I fell ill immediately.
Reflecting back, it dawned on me that I had hardly been sleeping at all the entire trip (as the pillows were small and lumpy, the room way too hot and the bed understandably uncomfortable). On top of that, I believe I have burnt out a year's worth of adrenaline, it is no wonder that my body went into decline.
All in all, amazing trip, fantastic company and something beautiful came out of it all....

0 comments:
Post a Comment