Dangerously Close to Being Old

Yes, rather.

I spent the dawning of the 30th of September 2009 working nights at the hospital. No birthday dinner, no celebration.

I did not expect any whatsoever because my current relationship and ongoing social status with my fellow house officers are not at the level of birthday celebration chumminess.

I wasn't affected at all though, after all I celebrated my 'early' birthday in Toulon, where Kai Lin and PT went in search for candles (bijuu in French) to put on my chocolate melting pot dessert.


A huge fireworks candle indeed.

I was however, pleasantly surprised when I emerged for my handover at 8am and all my surgical house officers wished me happy birthday.

Jonny even got me a Tesco Chocolate Muffin to eat.

I went home a little happier and got my second surprise of the day, when my military man flatmate gave me a card and a present. Practical everyone puts it - a TV antenna to go with my Samsung LCD Flatscreen!

It works.

2 hours before I was due in for work again, my SHO and partner turned up at my doorstep with 2 cakes - Tesco's Raspberry Cheesecake and a mini Smarties gift cake.

Yet another surprise.

Then another 3 friends popped by with half a bottle of wine - I know, nothing impressive whatsoever but I spent an enjoyable 30 mins eating as much cake as I can indulge in, and half a glass of wine. Cake, cake, cake.

Then came my weekend.

Edinburgh beckoned.

The first night was spent with my old classmates. I had no idea how much I missed them, how much I missed talking in the Malaysian slang and also just jabbering non stop. I really think I talk too much. What is that phrase - silence is golden, speech is silver? I Really Need to practice that. But, after all, we did spend 5 years together. That's almost 1/5 of my life.

Then came another cake, yes, a chocolate fudge cake from Double Dutch that Edinburgh's No. 1 chef - Su Ping tastefully decorated.


I mean, how can you say No to a cake like that?!


I had too generous slices.

The surprises did not end there.

The next morning, I was awakened from my nest of warm duvets with a chorus of Happy Birthday and a beautiful cheesecake materialised out of thin air.


I had a cheesecake right on my bed!! (not mine, technically. Meryl's).

Jo, Edinburgh's Chief Baker (and eater) made this lovely strawberry cheesecake. How can I express my love for her and the rest of the team? I cannot. It has to go to proof with me inhaling the entire cheesecake as fast as I can.



A slice of fatty cheesecake first thing in the morning, right after a minty teeth brushing - makes quite a difference to life's outlook.

I also received a DKNY pink apple perfume from them, so now I have both the green and pink version. Love it.
On top of that I also received a really posh manicure and pedicure set that's so uber high class, I am a bit afraid to use it.

From what I thought would be a really boring birthday for 2009, had in actual fact turned out to be a surprised filled one indeed.

I returned to Maidstone a tad deflated, but massively happy for I love my mates, also bearing in mind that I would be meeting everyone again the next weekend for our trip to Alton Towers.

Wicked.

0 comments: