A Letter of Heartfelt Gratitude

You know, I never ever talked at length nor in depth regarding my experience of losing my passport in the States.
All I have ever mentioned was how it got lost and the fact that it was reissued.
Full stop.
But if you take a step back and think of my position, the loss of my passport equates a hard fact - a one way emergency certificate back to London or Kuala Lumpur.

I had spent a good chunk of my time in the last year, organising my electives in the States and Trinidad.
If I had to give that up, I would be.... one word:
Devastated.

Perhaps no one would ever understand how much I looked forward to this 2 months, perhaps no one would ever understand the immense worry I went through and perhaps no one would ever understand how much my passport meant to me at this point in time.

But, with the grace of God and also my parents, it was sorted in no time at all. Perhaps I am lucky, perhaps this was meant to be a test of my faith, OR, perhaps, no wait; DEFINITELY - I was damn unlucky.

But, with the right people at the right place, I owe the reissuing of my passport in record time to: Aunty June.

So I attach my letter of thanks to her and everyone involved, I never felt prouder to be a Malaysian.

Dear Aunty June,

Words cannot describe my feeling of gratitude and appreciation for all you have done for me. When the realization of my lost passport leading to my inability to travel to Trinidad for my elective sunk in, I was in utmost despair and anguish as I had spent the entire year arranging this attachment. This elective is also part of my university course work and if I do not complete it, I would not be able to graduate this coming June. After 5 long years in medical school, not being able to graduate because of a lost passport would be unthinkable, and, extremely dismaying.

When I received a call from the consulate reporting that I can come and collect my newly reissued passport, I was exuberant. How I am going to describe it is that I truly had a skip and a jump of pure joy in every step I took as I made my way downtown to the consulate. Having had sleepless nights because of this, I am unable to convey how deeply thankful I am for yours and Dato' A M's swift action and attention to my case.

Can I just seize this opportunity to extend my profound appreciation to:

a) you

b) Dato' A M,

c) the Consulate General of New York, Encik Zamruni Khalid

d) the immigration officers at the New York consulate: Puan Rahimah Abd Aziz and

e) Encik Harris Mohamed

f) the officers/personnel at the Immigration Office in Kuala Lumpur and Wisma Putra,

who had all gone beyond their call of duty to assist me, a mere Malaysian citizen who was in dire need of help in a country so far away from her own.

I have now come to experience what is truly going beyond one's limits in assisting others out of pure kindness. The staff at the consulate here in New York was incredibly understanding and obliging to my desperate cry for help. Even having someone speak the local 'Manglish' language was comforting to the ear and knowing that they are doing all they can to assist me made me somehow feel that I am indeed not alone in this city of bright lights but foreign people.

Lastly, I consider myself exceptionally fortunate to be able to experience firsthand, the love of the Malaysian government for her citizens, and am very proud of her workers. In true Malaysian spirit, the phrase 'Malaysia Boleh' has come to life before my very own eyes with the speed and dedication of all those involved.

I would once again like to say a huge thank you to every single one of you and am very proud to be part of a country that has such an efficient and loving government who puts the needs of their citizens as their top priority. Yes, I am indeed proud to be an Anak Bangsa Malaysia. May the fiery love of the government for their people continue glowing forever more, a sparkle of definite hope for all Malaysian worldwide.

Yours sincerely,

Rachel Hung

0 comments: