Mummy's 50th

5 0. My lovely mother has reached the ripe age of 50 years. Half a century. According to my very hong kong father, it is a MUST to celebrate your 50th. I mean, these kind of things don't just go by without being recognised. It's a time to celebrate!
So mummy dearest pulled her birthday all the way to August just so that my bro and I can be around to celebrate it with her. We went a back to her hometown, Sitiawan in Perak for the dinner as most of her family were there. My sister came all the way from penang, my 3 cousins studying and working in KL also made the 3 hour travel back to Sitiawan! In other words, I was looking forward to a massive family reunion.

The day before the dinner was spent stuffing ourselves full with all the local specialities. Mmmm... red wine noodles, oysters with egg(ou jian), peanut bun, loh meen(special Sitiawan style. NOT the type in KL), gong pian...
It was an eating fest. Dinner came... and it was a 12 course dinner. Despite the food we already had, dinner was another makan affair, with home cooked red wine noodles by my grandma as an extra dish. A MUST too for Sitiawan celebrations. Hmmm... with all these beliefs and what not, I wonder why the chinese aren't the majority of obese people.

Well, basically, it was a huge, fantastic family reunion. We should definitely do it more often! Still, I guess I've got to wait for another milestone birthday...but first, I've got to brainwash them the hong kong way....


0 comments: