It's been 2 months since I've turned the great 25 years - a quarter of a century old.
This post was started about 7 weeks ago but I have consistently failed to finish it, in fact, I have consistently failed to write on this blog for the past one year due to... oh, I don't know.... too many things going on in my life.
Which really, if I sit down and think about it - should not be filled with much things at all
All I do is work, and... not really much else.
I should have loads of time on my hands to blog, to exercise, to shop, heck even to watch all the series's that I am seriuosly lagging behind in.
Still, I do not have time where I can sit down in front of my computer and blog about my wordly experiences, still, I do not have time to watch all the TVBs and American soap operas I want to, still, I have done no shopping since...
oh, I do not know when.
Can't even remember how Oxford Street looks like anymore!!
But really, I cannot NOT have time to celebrate my 25th can I?
Then comes the next question? Where, when and how.
Should I hold one massive one with my ex Maidstone friends with my current London ones together? Should I split it? Should I have it in my house or outside? Should I go to a restaurant, or just a bar/club night.
Whatever.
I do it in style.
So 2 nights of celebrating, one with the Maidstone crew on my actual birthday in Cafe Pacifico at Covent Garden followed by a night out at this club just round the corner. Can't remember it's name, but they had a live band and the music was good.
Yes it was.
Left at 2am, with my other friends Still partying (on my behalf) and made it home only to get up at 6.30am the next morning for work.
The celebration was not over yet, as I had a follow up karaoke party at China City in Chinatown with the Londoners, mainly Malaysians and the night was.... pretty self explanatory.
So as I was sending out invitations a few days before my birthday, I had multiple enquiries from friends about what I wanted as a present.
In the past I loved getting presents. Who doesn't?
Not saying that I do not like it now, but I remember well back in my younger years when my mum will always tell us that presents more often than not collect dust than really prove themselves useful.
I did not think people will be giving me much presents anyway because at age 25, most humans seem to be too grown up to think of buying presents. And yet, I did not want to receive presents that will not only fail to enhance my quality of life, it will sit.... and yes. Collect Dust.
Or maybe, presents is just a thing of if you give me a present, then when your birthday comes I will need to get you one back.
Of equal value.
Yeah, whatever, don't give me rubbish about 'why you think like that, no one expects anything back, giving is better than receiving...' and all those saintly notions.
If you give me a tube of Mentos for my birthday, you will get a tube of Soft Mints back. Or at most, I'll upgrade you to Haribos.
And neither did I want to receive a Ferragamo wallet and have to think of getting you a Gucci purse in the near future.
To avoid any impending presents that could potentially fill my life with more clutter and dust or that could likely empty my bank account in the next year, I came up with a master plan.
Facebook being the best medium of communication nowadays suddenly read on Rachel Hung's status: Anything that isn't a SatNav, PS3 or Wii, Macbook or iMac, or a Mulberry bag Will collect dust.
Essentially giving out the message that if you cannot afford the above, do not get me anything.
A SatNav, because I really need one, and that will enchance my quality of life.
A PS3 or Wii because I would like one and it could also bring more entertainment into the mundane cycle called work.
A MacBook or iMac because my own laptop is falling to bits, bless, it is after all 6 years old.
And lastly, a Mulberry bag - because, really, nobody can afford it.
I mean, even if they can, they cannot expect me to get them something as expensive back.
Please.
I'm still a junior doctor.
But I will happily receive and write you a lovely thank you card.
So I think my FB message makes a whole lot of sense and is harldy misleading at all.
Birthday came and went, and I have to say, human beings are a cunning lot.
So for my SatNav, this is what I got:

A 50quid voucher to bring me one step closer to attaining that Garmin Nuvi I've been reading about all these while.Should I hold one massive one with my ex Maidstone friends with my current London ones together? Should I split it? Should I have it in my house or outside? Should I go to a restaurant, or just a bar/club night.
Whatever.
I do it in style.
So 2 nights of celebrating, one with the Maidstone crew on my actual birthday in Cafe Pacifico at Covent Garden followed by a night out at this club just round the corner. Can't remember it's name, but they had a live band and the music was good.
Yes it was.
Left at 2am, with my other friends Still partying (on my behalf) and made it home only to get up at 6.30am the next morning for work.
The celebration was not over yet, as I had a follow up karaoke party at China City in Chinatown with the Londoners, mainly Malaysians and the night was.... pretty self explanatory.
So as I was sending out invitations a few days before my birthday, I had multiple enquiries from friends about what I wanted as a present.
In the past I loved getting presents. Who doesn't?
Not saying that I do not like it now, but I remember well back in my younger years when my mum will always tell us that presents more often than not collect dust than really prove themselves useful.
I did not think people will be giving me much presents anyway because at age 25, most humans seem to be too grown up to think of buying presents. And yet, I did not want to receive presents that will not only fail to enhance my quality of life, it will sit.... and yes. Collect Dust.
Or maybe, presents is just a thing of if you give me a present, then when your birthday comes I will need to get you one back.
Of equal value.
Yeah, whatever, don't give me rubbish about 'why you think like that, no one expects anything back, giving is better than receiving...' and all those saintly notions.
If you give me a tube of Mentos for my birthday, you will get a tube of Soft Mints back. Or at most, I'll upgrade you to Haribos.
And neither did I want to receive a Ferragamo wallet and have to think of getting you a Gucci purse in the near future.
To avoid any impending presents that could potentially fill my life with more clutter and dust or that could likely empty my bank account in the next year, I came up with a master plan.
Facebook being the best medium of communication nowadays suddenly read on Rachel Hung's status: Anything that isn't a SatNav, PS3 or Wii, Macbook or iMac, or a Mulberry bag Will collect dust.
Essentially giving out the message that if you cannot afford the above, do not get me anything.
A SatNav, because I really need one, and that will enchance my quality of life.
A PS3 or Wii because I would like one and it could also bring more entertainment into the mundane cycle called work.
A MacBook or iMac because my own laptop is falling to bits, bless, it is after all 6 years old.
And lastly, a Mulberry bag - because, really, nobody can afford it.
I mean, even if they can, they cannot expect me to get them something as expensive back.
Please.
I'm still a junior doctor.
But I will happily receive and write you a lovely thank you card.
So I think my FB message makes a whole lot of sense and is harldy misleading at all.
Birthday came and went, and I have to say, human beings are a cunning lot.
So for my SatNav, this is what I got:

For my request on a gaming console, I got this:
And my impossible wish for an Apple computer, I got:
The only thing that didn't come close was my Mulberry bag request which fair enough, IS too expensive. Good thing no one gave me bin bags instead.
A final present was a teapot and teacup set, also from friends who know I like all things sweet and girly.
So this really isn't about what I request anymore, but from the pure knowledge of who I am and what I like that can only be attained through years of friendship.
Let's also not forget the amazing cakes that I had for both days, by both Susanna and Raj who made me my chocolate sponge cake and Mel's amazing cheesecake.
Mmm.
Next year, I am gonna ask for a car.
No models allowed.

0 comments:
Post a Comment