Feedback

This feedback was not for me, but a fellow Malaysian.

Background info: we write essays ever so often about useless stuff that takes even too long to explain here. In short, it is all the 'humanity' side of medicine that consultants nowadays seem to lack, hence medical schools across the UK has decided that their students should really receive proper teaching (in the form of writing crappy essays) of things connected to medicine but not, medicine.

I know that didn't make sense.

Anyway.


Also, just you know, all papers are anonymous so the marker does not know who it belongs to, and they are all marked by doctors.

The comments said:

"Thoughtful and original approach - good. Some language problems and unusual use of language suggesting that English (or 'British English') is not writer's first language. I had not met the word 'anhedonia' before, but found it in an old medical dictionary (and had worked out from the Greek, what it means). Subheadings to break up text could be useful."


Ok.

If you are involved in medicine in any way, and have done psychiatry, not knowing the word 'anhedonia' is as bad as not knowing what 'myocardial infarction' stands for.

If you are not of the medicine-y people, please Google it.
Which leads us on to the markers comment that he had to find the word in an OLD MEDICAL DICTIONARY.

Firstly, what's wrong with Googling?
Secondly, OLD medical dictionary means that that word has been around for a - bingo! LONG time.
Thirdly, what's wrong with Googling?
Fourthly, aren't you a doctor? (this has lead me to believe that the marker might not actually be a medical doctor. Maybe just the PHD type, which I find confusing because being a doctor in philosophy doesn't make you a doctor that can cure diseases, but they are both - doctors. I think some law should be implemented on the term 'doctor' and its uses.)
Fifthly, what's wrong with Googling?
Sixthly, what's wrong with Goo- , ok I think we all agree how convenient Google is nowadays.

I also do not know what to make up of the comment that 'British English' is not the writer's first language. Er, sure it's not. But the best part is, some ang mor also get the comment from markers that their English is not their first language when in reality, most ang mor's can only speak.. let's see... English.

I suppose at the end of the day and from the point of a student, receiving some form of feedback is better than receiving no feedback although the feedback received would not quite help me improve in my... er, English.

0 comments: